Monday, February 21, 2011

Web 2.0 & Social Media


Web 2.0 & Social Media

  1.  I personally do not think that this pattern we have seen recently “homegrown ads” will continue much further. I do not particularly like homegrown ads due to the fact that I know some companies do have the technology to make ads as most appealing as they can. I love advertisements and television shows that are aesthetically pleasing and sometimes with “homegrown ads” that is not achieved. I do not think that professional production will continue to drop. I feel as though, these home grown ads are such a small portion of advertising, that the industry won’t be radically affected. There will always be a need for advertising no matter what.
  2.  Facebook is obviously the social media site that I spend the most time on by far and I am sure that my response is similar to the most of the class if not the rest of the class. I was never interested in Myspace, so I never even had one. However, facebook has so many social mediums intertwined in it so that everything is located in one specific place, the facebook site. It is a very organized website which allows me to stay connected to basically everyone I know and talk to. I found myspace very “spammy” and too flashy for me. Facebook is simple in format and easy to navigate. I think that facebook will be around for awhile since the site already stayed far more popular than myspace and facebook has opened up to every demographic.
  3.   Transparency is a huge concern in the social media world. The blog article stated that when we tweet or post on facebook or use flickr, our motives may not be one hundred percent genuine. You may not be posting because you want to but maybe to attract the attention of someone you like or get in the good graces of someone of higher stature than you. Then if you add in advertising, people may think it’s fair that if you mention a company in a tweet, blog post, etc. you should be compensated. This could turn social media from a way to connect with other to a way of simply making profit. Our motives would certainly not be genuine. Transparency in the real world could also pose problems. People may print or vow something they don’t mean in order to make a profit. Newspapers could become simply catalogues of people’s products and companies. And TV shows and movies could revolve around product placement more than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment